note: itchy trigger finger deleted this post from June 15, 2010. So… here we go again
It was hackweek here again in Novell, I spent an enjoyable ( but also sometimes frustrating ) couple of days trying to extend support for Mono in Openoffice.org. Recently on IRC there was some interest in using C# to write extensions for Openoffice.org where it became clear that only being able to ‘drive’ Openoffice.org from C# is severely limiting. To provide decent custom functionality you need to be able to get called by Openoffice.org, integrate with the Menus and Toolbars etc. Clearly to write an extension you need to be able to be ‘plugged’ in.. There are many many C# developers ( and potential extension developers ) and
we are just ignoring them. I have to admit I always wanted to play with C#/DotNet/Mono and I even proposed a GSOC task to try and faciliate this
Unfortunately the project didn’t make the cut but fortunately there is Hackweek yay! So, I spent the last couple of days playing around with Mono and C#, first I wrote a new loader for Mono, this allowed me to use recomp to register some services, next I modified unopkg to accept a Mono component bundled in an extension.
The source code for the extension is available from here
Then I ported the CalcAddins example from the sdk to Mono, the result can be seen below
The source code for the Calc addin can be found here.
I didn’t have time to write some managed c++ code to load from DotNet, it should only require a small amount of code since the loader is only
a proxy for the managed code Loader implementation ( that was written for this mono component support and can be reused )